First Nations Relationships
Equitable Community Growth
Teal Jones takes great pride in our long history of co-management with First Nations and Indigenous Groups in British Columbia. We acknowledge the ancestral territories of all First Nations on which we operate and are committed to the implementation of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP) and Reconciliation. Teal Jones has a history that includes productive working relationships with 106 First Nations in B.C. Each relationship we form reflects the distinct interests of the individual First Nation.
We believe that it is of paramount importance to work closely with our Indigenous partners to ensure your Nations’ success as well as our own. Economic and social wellbeing are our goals.
What's different about Teal Jones?
Teal Jones has advantages that set us apart in the forestry business:
- We have the ability and expertise to partner with you in every aspect of the forestry business, adding value to your forestry resources
- We are family operated
- We offer direct, open lines of communication
- We have a proven track record in community economic development, with successful business and employment for generations
- We have many successful relationships, and can provide success stories and personal referrals
- We are willing to have innovative, challenging conversations with your leadership and find equitable solutions not available in more rigid management structures
Our Collective Process - Planning
Teal Jones is proud of our in-house forestry professionals’ ability to build a solid stewardship based, professional approach to Indigenous forestry needs. We understand that First Nations are the stewards of your land and water for time immemorial, and as such, we build forestry stewardship plans that are based on your Indigneous historical knowledge and cultural requirements.
From royalties to joint ventures and partnerships, Teal Jones puts relationships first. In a complex and evolving landscape, it is not our intention to tell you or your Nation what might be the best model of partnership. With humility we bring our success in business forward and discuss options. These are by no means the “only way” or exhaustive, but a point from which to start exploring equity options and positions in industry.
We are excited to be a part of your process- growth, training and future economic benefits while stewarding the resource.
Adding Value & Promoting Stewardship
We are a value-added manufacturer. We do not export logs or jobs, but mill all timber we cut right here in the province, utilizing 100 per cent of every log. Teal Jones has a decades-long history of engagement with First Nations, responsible forest management, and value-added manufacture in BC. The company plants well in excess of one million new trees every year.
About Teal Jones
Teal Jones has advantages that sets us apart in the forestry business:
- We are family operated, with direct lines of communication to key decision makers;
- We have the ability and expertise to partner with you in every aspect of the forestry business;
- We have a proven track record in community economic development, with successful business and employment for generations;
- We are willing to have innovative, challenging conversations with your leadership and find equitable solutions
Our Collective Process: Value-Added Forestry
Teal Jones is proud of our in-house forestry professionals’ ability to build a solid stewardship based, professional approach to Indigenous forestry needs. We understand that First Nations have been and continue to be the stewards of your land and water for time immemorial, we would like to build a forestry plan that builds off of Indigneous historical knowledge and cultural requirements.
From planning to harvesting, and post-harvest restoration to value-added forestry services Teal Jones can provide answers and options in a complex industry.